When are the meetings?

Regular meetings are held on the third Thursday of every month at the village hall at 11 River Street. In case of special meetings or venue changes, notices will be posted on the community board outside the village hall and in the Nelliston Post Office at least 72 hours prior to the meeting*

*Unless in case of emergency.

When is garbage and recycling pick up?

  • Garbage pick-up is every Monday and Thursday. Cans and/or bags should be at the curbside by 7:00 A.M.

  • Recycling pick-up is the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month. Recyclables should be at the curbside by 7:00 A.M.

How do I get one or more large items picked up for disposal?

Tickets for large items can be purchased from the village clerk. Please call, email, or stop in for a ticket. A price list has been provided on our DPW page. However, pick-up is handled by Weaver Sanitation, whom the village has contracted for waste management. If an item is not on the list a special pick up may be possible. Please reach out to the clerk with questions.

I have one or more dogs. Do I need to register them? If so, how do I do so?

Dogs need to be registered within the Town of Palatine. You can do so through the Dog Control Officer via the Town of Palatine's office. Please reach out to the Town of Palatine Clerk by phone at 518-673-4487 or by email at toptownclerk@gmail.com .

When are the elections and where do I vote?

Village Elections will next be held in March of 2023. The Village Hall located at 11 River Street is the location of voting within the village of Nelliston. The hall is regularly used by the Montgomery County Board of Elections for primary and general elections as well. Their information (including important dates) is listed below along with links to register to vote. Physical forms are also available at the village hall upon request. Election information will be posted on the public calendar listed on this website's homepage. If you need to file an application for an absentee ballot, you can find the forms under our clerk/collector page.

Montgomery County Board of Elections

Voter Registration Form (English)

Formulario de registro de votantes del estado de Nueva York

When does my water/sewer bill need to be paid by?

To avoid penalties, spring bills must be postmarked by May 5 of the calendar year in which they are due. For fall bills, they must be postmarked by November 5 of the calendar year they are due to avoid penalty. The board is currently in the process of reevaluating the penalties and procedures for late water/sewer bills. Please contact the clerk with questions.

When does my tax bill need to be paid by?

Tax bills need to be post marked by July 1 of the year they are due in order to be paid without penalty. Interest applies until the last date possible to pay the village collector directly. That date is November 5 for 2021. After that date, the unpaid bills are reported to the county to be added on to the following year's bill. To pay a bill after the November 5 late deadline, contact the Montgomery County Treasurer.

Montgomery County Office of Real Property - Contact Page

Why can't I pay in cash?

  • This is at the discretion of the collector and village board. Cash payments have the highest risk of loss for a municipality. They also require extra audit controls and necessitate keeping petty cash on hand (which in itself presents an additional risk of loss).

  • Cash deposits require more detail than check deposits. In the event that a cash payment was made and the receipts were lost, one of the few ways of determining if the payment was made would be through reviewing the deposit ticket copies. If these are not filled out properly each and every time, it presents a risk of proof of payment being lost as well.

  • As per post 9/11 rules, banks and credit unions are required to scan their work product at the end of each business day. This adds an additional layer of back-up so a paper trail can be provided to prove payment or lack thereof.

Can I pay online?

The village collector is in the process of creating a procedure for online bill payments. This will be presented to the village board sometime in the 2021 calendar year.

My question wasn't answered here, what should I do to get an answer?

Contact the village clerk at the information below:

Phone: 518-993-2862

Email: clerk@nelliston.org

Fax: N/A

Mail: P.O. Box 305
Nelliston, NY 13410

Drop box: Located by the back door of the village hall.

In-person: Visit the village hall at 11 River Street.